Top Dog Breeds of 2019
The surveys have been collected, and the results are in. We now know the top dog breeds of 2019! As you know, we have a place reserved in our hearts for every dog, so these numbers are just numbers to us. Where does your furbaby rank on these charts?
Top USA Dog Breeds of 2019
For the 28th year in a row, the Labrador retriever came in at #1. As AKC's Executive Secretary Gina DiNardo said in a statement, it "shows no signs of giving up the top spot anytime soon.” The complete list includes:
- Labrador Retriever: These friendly and active pups have held the top spot the past 28 years in a row!
- German Shepard: Often police and service dogs, they are fiercely loyal and incredibly intelligent.
- Golden Retriever: You see these dogs in movies and TV shows often. They are easily trained, love working hard, and are beyond sweet.
- French Bulldog: Big city families tend to love these pups, as they require little exercise. They are fun, sweet, and have a big personality!
- Bulldog: Very well known in the celebrity and presidential circles, bulldogs seem to always make the list!
- Beagle: Often known as trouble makers, beagles like to howl and sniff their way into all.the.things. But they are ridiculously cute and snuggly!
- Poodle: This poodle category umbrellas all types of poodles - miniature, small, large, etc. With the growing demand of golden doodles, this breed may continue to climb the popularity ladder!
- Rottweiler: Protective and intimidating, this breed is generally known as a scary breed, but they have an intense soft side that owners swear by.
- German Shorthaired Pointer: While GSPs are known as hunters, they have become a family favorite!
- Yorkshire Terrier: They can fit in your purse! Yorkies are considered a lovable and easy breed to take care of.
Top Dog Breeds for Families for 2019
You can choose good family dogs based on three major factors: (source)
- Temperament – This is the dog’s personality. You should be looking for an agreeable temperament. For instance, a calmer dog has the ability to form strong bonds and be a great companion for your kids.
- Size – Size should be looked at in relation to both temperament and energy level. Some larger dogs tend to be docile, while some smaller dogs can be excitable.
- Energy level – This is a matter of preference for your family. Be realistic about the lifestyle you can provide to a dog that needs more exercise than average. If you can’t meet a dog’s needs, his excess energy can lead to behavior problems down the road.
The top 10 dogs recommended as family pets include:
- Bull Terrier
- Irish Setter
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
You’ll notice that the lists are not the same! It makes you wonder who is
actually filling out these surveys! What type of dog do you have, and why
do you love him so?